Steps To Take For a Toxin-Free Home

Standard

The environment that we live in can set the tone for us and how we deal with things. If we live in a cluttered and messy environment, then the chances are that we will lead cluttered lives. If you find that you are always frantically looking for things at home and are regularly late for appointments, it could be that you need to look at your home environment first. Making it more organized can lead to living a more organized life. The same goes for our health. Our home can set the tone for how healthy we will be. There are other factors, like food and exercise that will play a role. But there are many toxic things that we bring into our homes that can have a knock-on effect. It can be hard to be healthy when the place that you spend most of your time isn’t a healthy place to be.

So what can be done? It can be nearly impossible to be completely free of toxins but these tips will help make your home that much safer:

Rethink Your Flooring: You might be surprised to hear that some carpets are made from toxic chemicals. Some conventional carpets are made from synthetic fibers, that quite often can be petroleum based – think about what they might emit. The chemicals and fibers could be responsible for breathing problems like asthma, as well as be responsible for allergies. It is important to look into this if you have carpet, or are thinking about getting carpeted floors.

You can still get carpet, just make sure that you look for a certain type. The best are cotton or wool rugs as they are natural fibers and not synthetic. They should still be cleaned regularly, though, as they can house mites and dust that can aggravate allergies. Natural wood flooring could be a good idea, too, as it doesn’t need toxic glues to keep it all together.

toxin.jpg

Rethink your flooring!

Ditch Your Scented Candles: As much as we love them, scented candles can do us more harm than good. A lot of brands are made using paraffin wax, which is a byproduct of oil refinement. Which does really make you think; do you want that in your home? All is not lost, though. Just look for options that are non-toxic. Candles made from beeswax or soy are much better, toxin-free options. However, if you just like your home to smell good, then you could think about diffusing your favorite essential oils in the home. They are so good for the air quality in your home, which in turn, can be fantastic for your health. Candles add the element of coziness, though, so you might like to use a combination of both in the home.

toxin1.jpg

Flickr Image

Replace Old Roofing: Back in the day, a lot of homes were built with things like asbestos tiles in the roof. But it was all done before it was shown that asbestos can be detrimental to your health. It is crazy to think now that they even considered it a viable material. A lot of homes have had the tiles removed, but not all. So if you think you may have some in the roofing of your home, then now is the time to get rid of it. You need to dispose of it safely, though. There are recommended guidelines as to how to get rid of it all. Then you know that the fibers won’t be inhaled or linger in your home. If so, it could lead to ill health, including a type of cancer like mesothelioma. If you have had asbestos in your home previously and think that you might have become sick as a result, then there are options for you. Speak to your doctor, of course, but it could also be worth speaking to a lawyer to see if you could get any compensation. If you are interested in this, then you could look at the following link to see how to go about it: www.RobinsCloud.com/mesothelioma-lawsuits/choosing-a-mesothelioma-lawyer/.

Throw Away Plastic Bottles: We get told so much that we need to drink more water but there are plastic water bottles that can be bad for you. They can contain toxins that can leak into the water that you then go on to drink. This can be especially true when bottles are left in hot environments. It makes the plastic become softer which in turn can mean more toxins escaping into the water. Even some BPA-free bottles still contain other chemicals, though that is a better option than any old water bottle. But, better still, is the option to use glass or metal bottles. They can be harder to find, but they are going to be much better for you in the long run.

Along the same lines as plastic bottles, it is time to stop eating out of plastic containers too. If you use leftovers, then consider swapping out your plastic containers to glass ones. How many of us heat up leftovers in the microwave, still in the plastic container? Like with the water bottles, heat, especially from a microwave, can make the plastic softer and weaker. I think we’ve all noticed how flimsy a microwave meal package becomes after it has been in the microwave. But those plastics and toxins can leak into our food. So if you truly want to improve your health and quality of life, then you should think about eliminating plastic containers from your home. If you get ready made meals, then take them out of the packet before heating up. Heat them in an oven rather than a microwave, too.

toxin2.jpg

Trash these ASAP!

Check Your Paints: If your home is painted, rather than wallpapered, then make sure that you look into what kind of paint you are using. The strong smell of paint can often indicate to us that it could be harmful, but we still all use it, right? I’m not saying don’t decorate your home, just that you need to be more wary about what paints you use. A lot of paints are described as containing VOC (volatile organic compounds). Doesn’t sound too drastic, does it? Wrong! It can wreak havoc on your breathing and aggravate asthma or respiratory issues. Make sure that you are looking for paints that are labelled as non-VOC. These are often water based paints, so they tend to need to be repainted after a little while. But it is a small price to pay for better health, isn’t it?

Cleaning Products: Cleaning products are intended to be strong to kill bacteria – we hear all about it in their advertisements. But as a result, they can be harmful to us. If you wipe your table using a chemical filled cloth and then eat something from the table, you are going to be ingesting all of those chemicals and toxins, so they need to be avoided as much as possible. You can still clean and get rid of bacteria in your home by using some simple and natural ingredients. You’ll be surprised at how well something like lemon, white vinegar, and baking soda can clean! Essential oils are great for cleaning, too. They can be used in a spray bottle with water and have even been shown to eliminate MRSA in hospitals. So you know you’ll still be making your home clean and safe, as well as healthier for all of you. This post has some information on the best oils to use if you’re not sure: www.helloglow.co/10-best-essential-oils-for-green-cleaning/.

Check Your Bedding: Have you ever thought about how much your bedding can affect your health? I’m thinking that is not very likely. First of all, when something is dyed unnaturally, it can have detrimental effects. The reason it can affect us so much is because it is so close to our skin and for such a long while. Anything that we put on our skin, including things like shampoo and makeup, has an effect on our body. Whatever we put on our skin goes into our skin cells and quite possibly, into our bloodstream. So if you are lying on sheets that have been bleached, that is touching your skin and could have a negative effect.

There is a whole range of things that can affect our health, from large home renovations to small cleaning projects. Have a think about your health and if any of these options would be a viable choice for you. When you make the effort, your body and overall health will thank you for it.

Advertisements

3 responses »

Leave me a comment and let's chat!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s