With many people still working from home, we can all become blind to the fact that our home has a number of problems. A very good example is how safe our home is. Our home can be an easy target for burglars, which is why we need to make sure we are not unwittingly displaying red flags as an open invite. Here are a few things to bear in mind and what you can do to better protect your home:
Not changing the locks since you have moved in:
If you’ve been in the home for a number of years but you’ve never changed the locks, you don’t know who has access to that property. Having a local locksmith change the locks is such a simple thing, but they can also advise you on the best ways to reinforce your door. They may recommend that you use keyless entry points, which can provide extra peace of mind if you are going on vacation.
Things to look out for:
Some people’s homes can be watched by burglars over a long period of time. Here are a few things that you may wish to keep an eye out for:
- Calls from unknown numbers: Look out for unknown callers and never give away any personal information. If you have children, talk to them about phone safety so they can alert you if any odd calls come in.
- Flyers, stickers, and ads: If you notice marketing and advertising flyers in the door or mailboxes, this could be a sign that burglars are using these as marks. Any stickers on your mailbox should be removed immediately. Additionally, if you find any unusual markings, such as a little bit of paint on your fence, a rope tied around your lamp post, or any other symbol this should be a sign that you need to remove the markings but also step up your security.
- More door-to-door activity: Burglars will sense their opportunity by casing up the home, as well as the individuals within. They can target properties by pretending to be someone taking a survey, salespeople, or other non-threatening individuals.
What you can do:
If you notice any signs that burglars are targeting your home you need to:
- Record observations, including dates and times of questionable activity, like a vehicle patrolling the area.
- Notify neighbors so they can be more vigilant in the community.
- Find ways to prevent break-ins, which can include installing a security system, but also illuminating dark corners outside of your property by installing a light sensor.
- Inform the police. Informing the police and ramping up your neighborhood watch initiatives ensure you are informing the people who can best deal with this while also making sure the neighborhood is more vigilant than ever.
It can be incredibly stressful to find out your home is being targeted by burglars. Some of these components can make a massive difference. It is always about making sure you are in a prevention mindset, while also noticing these tell-tale signs.
Featured Image By: Pixabay
I’ve just got my bark lol
LikeLiked by 1 person